Designed to detect the presence of carbon monoxide gas, carbon monoxide detectors are used indoors. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that can be extremely dangerous if inhaled in high concentrations.

These detectors typically consist of a sensor that can detect the presence of carbon monoxide gas. Additionally, there is an audible alarm to alert occupants if dangerous levels of CO are detected. The sensor works by measuring the amount of CO in the air. An alarm is triggered if it reaches a certain threshold.

Carbon monoxide detectors are usually placed in areas where they can quickly detect any carbon monoxide leaks or buildup. For example, near bedrooms or living areas. They are typically recommended to be installed at least one on every level of a home, and near sleeping areas.

It is important to regularly test and maintain carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are functioning properly. This includes checking for any warning or error codes, and cleaning the device to remove dust or debris that could interfere with its operation.

Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of fuels such as natural gas, gasoline, oil, propane, and wood. Common sources of carbon monoxide in homes include gas-powered furnaces, water heaters, stoves, fireplaces, and vehicles idling in an attached garage.

 

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Evacuate if Carbon Monoxide is Detected

If a carbon monoxide detector alarm sounds, it is important to immediately evacuate the premises and contact emergency services. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause symptoms such as headache, dizziness, nausea, confusion, and in severe cases, loss of consciousness or death.

Lastly, carbon monoxide detectors are a crucial safety measure in homes and other indoor spaces, as they provide an early warning system to protect against this silent and potentially deadly gas.

Contact the professional electricians at All Electric

Keep your family safe with wired detectors.